[Ncep.list.nems.announce] trying to understand a recent NEMS commit...

Gerhard Theurich theurich at sourcespring.net
Fri Mar 7 16:44:06 UTC 2014

Hi,

Picking up this conversation again on email. We talked about it this
morning on the UMIG/NEMS call. My concrete proposal (for NOW) is to
_not_ start separating out ESMF versions beyond 5.2.0r in NEMS. We do
still need the big switch between 310r-series and 520rAPI compatible,
until the issue with GOCART is resolved, but even now I do not see a
need to have switches between 5.2.0rAPI compatible ESMF versions in NEMS.

As it stands currently, this is what the "esmf_version" script in NEMS
offers:

      Run ./esmf_version with one argument:

  'esmf_version 3_wcoss'            : ESMF 3.1.0rp2 library on wcoss
  'esmf_version 3_zeus'             : ESMF 3.1.0r series library (i.e.
ESMF 3.1.0rp2, 3.1.0rp5) on zeus
  'esmf_version 3_yellowstone'      : ESMF 3.1.0rp2 library on yellowstone

  'esmf_version 5.2_wcoss'          : ESMF 5.2.0rp1 library on wcoss
  'esmf_version 6.3r_wcoss'         : ESMF 6,3.0r library on wcoss
  'esmf_version 5.2.0rAPI_zeus'     : ESMF 5.2.0r API compatible library
(i.e. ESMF >= 5.2.0r) on zeus
  'esmf_version nuopc_zeus'         : ESMF library with reference NUOPC
Layer (currently ESMF 6.2.0) on zeus

I am proposing to clean this up this way:

      Run ./esmf_version with one argument:

  'esmf_version 3.1.0rAPI_wcoss'    : ESMF 3.1.0r API compatible library
on wcoss (currently 3.1.0rp2)
  'esmf_version 3.1.0rAPI_zeus'     : ESMF 3.1.0r API compatible library
on zeus (currently ESMF 3.1.0rp5)
  'esmf_version 3.1.0r_yellowstone' : ESMF 3.1.0r API compatible library
on yellowstone (currently ESMF 3.1.0rp5)

  'esmf_version 5.2.0rAPI_wcoss'    : ESMF 5.2.0r API compatible library
on wcoss (currently ESMF 6.3.0r)
  'esmf_version 5.2.0rAPI_zeus'     : ESMF 5.2.0r API compatible library
on zeus (currently ESMF 6.3.0r)

  'esmf_version nuopc_zeus'         : ESMF with reference NUOPC Layer on
zeus (currently ESMF 7.0.0bs01)

With that, any future release of ESMF can be tested by simply changing
which ESMF library is pointed to by the
modules.nems.Machine_ESMF_520rAPI file (Machine=Wcoss|Zeus|Yellowstone).
Once testing is clean, and the decision was made to move to that ESMF
version, the change is committed, including changing the comment in the
"esmf_version" script, indicating which specific ESMF version is loaded
under the 5.2.0rAPI setting for the specific machine.

Along the same line I suggest _not_ splitting regression testing like
this (which is now in the regression script):

  SKIP_ESMF520rAPI=YES
  SKIP_ESMF630rAPI=NO

but instead only have one set of regression tests for ESMF520rAPI, which
then loads what every 5.2.0rAPI compatible ESMF library was set in the
machine specific configuration file.

Bottom line is that I would like us to reign in the number of options
wrt ESMF version and not add to them, specifically beyond the 5.2.0rAPI.

Thanks,
-Gerhard