[Ncep.list.nems.announce] trying to understand a recent NEMS commit...

Gerhard Theurich theurich at sourcespring.net
Fri Feb 28 00:47:22 UTC 2014

Hi,

I am a bit puzzled how I missed the commit announcement to the NEMS
trunk that went in 19h ago as revision 37397. There are two issues:

1) It's hard to merge to the trunk when there are changes coming like
that are not being announced. Yesterday I had merged branches/NUOPC
changes to a trunk sandbox, resolved issues and started testing. I will
repeat now...

2) The changes in question, updating to ESMF v6.3.0r in NEMS, I would
have advised to approach the issue differently. Starting with v5.2.0r,
ESMF guarantees a large degree of backward compatibility of the API. The
idea behind added the "520rAPI" setting in NEMS was to use it on all
520rAPI compatible ESMF releases, which should be pretty much any future
release. The same internal macros would be used in NEMS, and eventually,
when the use of prior ESMF versions (like v3.1.0rpX) dies out in NEMS,
all of that ESMF version specific macro jungle could be cut down. I
think we should revisit the changes.

Thanks,
-Gerhard