[Ncep.list.idp.mrms.users] MRMS user update -- 20170404

Derek VanPelt - NOAA Affiliate derek.vanpelt at noaa.gov
Tue Apr 4 17:41:38 UTC 2017

MRMS Users,

NCO operates MRMS on our IDP systems in College Park and Boulder.
Recently, we have been moving all of the operational applications on IDP to
all run together on the College Park instance in preparation for a power
outage at the Boulder facility.  This increased application load on College
Park has had adverse impacts to MRMS.

Over the last few days MRMS has been missing ~2% of total files, and has
sent out some partial images.  These issues have been mostly focused in the
early morning hours, but occasionally are showing later in the day.  NCO is
not satisfied with this level of performance and we are working on making
adjustments to the system.  The ultimate solution to this is to increase
capacity on IDP, which will happen in the next few months.  In the
meantime, we are looking at some possible load re-balancing.

We are tightly monitoring the quantity and quality of the MRMS products,
and are working to ensure we provide these data.  Please let our team (
ncep.list.idp_support at noaa.gov ) know if you are experiencing more
widespread outages.

Thank you,

Derek