[Ncep.list.fv3-announce] global-workflow master being renamed and other GitFlow changes coming!

Kate Friedman - NOAA Federal Kate.Friedman at noaa.gov
Wed Jul 10 16:25:35 UTC 2019

All,

*To follow the recent adoption of GitFlow procedures at EMC for our code
management the global-workflow master will be renamed to "develop".*
Additionally, a release branch called "operations" will be established and
will have similar permissions as master/develop, meaning commits to it will
be controlled by the global-workflow code managers. The operations branch
will be used to prepare releases for hand-off to NCO, whereas the develop
branch will continue to be used as the master branch has been.

In preparing for this change a test repo was set up by the VLab admins and
the master-to-develop name change was tested there. Results from those
tests show that this change should not cause conflicts with your
established branches/clones and should be relatively seamless. If you would
like further details on how this change is accomplished let me know!

*So what does this change mean to you?* It means:

   1. When you make a new clone of global-workflow you will get the
   "develop" branch as your default now instead of "master". Proceed as you
   normally would from there.
   2. You will sync your branches with the "develop" branch instead of the
   "master" branch (git merge origin/develop).
   3. Users will want to do a "git fetch" in their existing clones to
   ingest the change (one time thing after rename is completed). You can also
   do a "git pull" but only if you don't have uncommitted changes in your
   local clone. A "git fetch" will pull down updated information from VLab but
   won't integrate changes into your current branch.
   4. Pushes to the HEAD of the repo (i.e. currently "master") for
   review/commit will go to the develop branch instead of the master branch
   (mostly for code managers knowledge).
   5. Learning to say "develop" instead of "master". (<sarcasm>HARDEST part
   of this! I won't lie to you, this bit may take a while, especially if
   you're still saying "trunk".</sarcasm>)

*It is the intention of the global-workflow code managers to make these
changes within the next week.* There is one commit currently in review that
I'd like to complete before making the change. I will let you all know when
the changes are done or if we decide to delay the change a bit more.

FYI, when we move the global-workflow repo to GitHub it will start with the
develop branch as the default/HEAD branch so you should be used to it by
then!

Let me know of any questions or concerns you may have about this change!
Thanks all!

Kate Friedman
NOAA/NWS/NCEP/EMC Engineering and Implementation Branch