[Ncep.list.fv3-announce] IMPORTANT FV3 repository restructuring plans

Arun Chawla - NOAA Federal arun.chawla at noaa.gov
Fri Feb 1 16:09:12 UTC 2019

Hello

Now that the government is open again and we are spinning up, it is time to
pick up on planned activities that were put on hold. One important activity
is a repository restructuring of FV3 in preparation of it becoming a
community repository.

In the next few months we are going to be undertaking a restructuring of
the fv3 repository in preparation for getting this updated to become a
community repository. This activity will be carried out in stages and we
are not going to stop development activities, but will be working with
everyone who are actively involved in development to ensure that there
research work does not get hampered. This will be led by Jun  so it is
imperative you work with her to make sure things go smoothly

These are the planned stages

Stage 1 ( Time line -- 1/31/19 - 2/15/19) : A clean up of the repository.
Currently there are many branches in the repository. We want to prune these
down to only the active development branches. So all branches that were
created with a plan to do development activity (but has not started) need
to be removed. Also redundant branches that have either been abandoned
and/or not needed anymore. Clean up will make this easier so please help
Jun do this. Otherwise, without input any branches with no update for the
last few months will be assumed to be inactive

Stage 2 (Time line -- 2/15/19 - 3/8/19) : Moving the FV3 dycore source code
out to its own repository.

Stage 3 (Time line -- 3/8/19 - 3/24/19): Moving the Stochastic physics out
to its own repository

Stage 4 (Time line -- 3/24/19 - 4/24/19): Moving the Physics (gfsphysics
and namphysics) +IPD out to its own repository

At the completion of each stage the corresponding nems apps will also be
updated to reflect the new repo structures. If your development branch is
associated with one or more stages then please let Jun know so that we can
adequately reproduce your branches in the new repositories.

This will be done carefully, that is why we are providing enough time to do
this. And remember this is all in a repository so every change can be
brought back. That said, your cooperation is critical to ensure that this
happens seamlessly. We are creating a google doc with the current list of
branches for all of you to populate.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vN_viA8aED3d3sKafpVoTyLNqxIWeQ-iS-05AiPvkdU/edit#gid=0

We need all the columns populated for the branches. We need to know the
person responsible for the branches, whether the branches are redundant
(and we can delete them) as well as focus area (identified by dycore,
physics or stochastic physics which corresponds to the different stages of
the repository restructuring)

Thanks !

p.s. Please forward to all you think that are involved with FV3
development. Particularly outside EMC

Arun Chawla
Chief
Engineering & Implementation Branch
Room 2083
National Center for Weather & Climate Prediction
5830 University Research Court
College Park, MD 20740
Ph: 301-683-3740
Fx: 301-683-3703