[Ncep.list.fv3-announce] Global dump archive work over coming months on WCOSS

Kate Friedman - NOAA Federal Kate.Friedman at noaa.gov
Mon Oct 22 18:39:58 UTC 2018

All,

The global dump archive (GDA) on WCOSS will be undergoing a variety of
maintenance over the coming months leading up to the FV3GFS implementation
slated for late January. All work should be invisible to the user but if
you encounter any access issues to dump data for your experiments on any
phases of WCOSS please let me know ASAP. I will be prioritizing any GDA
issues so don't hesitate to email me!

For those who are curious, here is a list of the work being done to the GDA
on WCOSS:

1) New GDA job setup on Dells: a new GDA job and archive will be setup on
the Dells which will be independent of the GDA currently running on phase
1. The new Dell GDA job will be archiving the new Dell obsproc dump data,
while the phase 1 job will continue archiving current production dump data.
The two jobs and archives will remain separate before the FV3GFS
implementation. Upon implementation the Dell GDA will become the primary
and the phase 1 GDA will be discontinued.

2) Dump data movement off of phase 1/2: In preparation for the new Dell GDA
and because of continued growth of dump data the phase1/2 archives are too
small to continue using. This is also in advance of whenever phase1/2 are
retired (I don't know dates on that yet, just "sometime in the near
future"). The dump data on phases 1 & 2 will be relocated to the space
dedicated to the GDA on the Crays and Dells, which is twice the size,
hooray! The moves should be seamless and will occur over the next few
months (lots of data to move carefully!). The symlinks under /globaldump on
phases 1 & 2 will be updated during the move and will still function
normally. Eventually the symlinks under /globaldump will be pointed towards
the Dell GDA so older workflows with the phase1 /globaldump path should
still work.

Note: The Theia GDA will not be impacted during this period beyond needed
age-offs.

Please send me any questions you may have about the above and let me know
ASAP if you have any issues accessing dump data during your experiments on
WCOSS. Thanks all!

Kate Friedman (formerly Howard)
NOAA/NWS/NCEP/EMC Engineering and Implementation Branch