[Ncep.list.fv3-announce] Global dump archive availability on WCOSS during Cray outages

Kate Friedman - NOAA Federal kate.friedman at noaa.gov
Tue Jun 26 16:21:08 UTC 2018

All,

A side effect of now utilizing space granted on the Crays to hold older
dump data is that when the Crays are unavailable/unmounted (as you're
seeing today) the dump data held there is also unavailable from the IBM
phase1/2 side. This now affects the following dates that reside in the Cray
dump archives: 2016060100 - 2017022818.

I have plans to continue to move more dump data from phase 1 to the Crays
in coming weeks so the range of affected dates will grow. Unfortunately
since data continues to increase in size and I am required to hold more and
more of it (including new experimental data-sets) I have to use the new
space provided on the Crays to avoid aging data off too soon, which splits
the archive across machines for the first time in its history.

Please keep this fact in mind for future Cray outages. Thanks for your
understanding!

Kate Friedman (formerly Howard)
NOAA/NWS/NCEP/EMC Engineering and Implementation Branch