[Ncep.list.fv3-announce] Release of NGGPS FV3GFS code

Jun Wang - NOAA Affiliate jun.wang at noaa.gov
Tue May 16 15:13:47 UTC 2017

Dear all,

Please see the FV3GFS v0 release announcement  from EMC director, Mike
Farrar:

Good morning SIP co-chairs. As we announced at the SIP workshop in April,
we have been working towards the release of a version of our FV3GFS code by
May 15.  I am pleased to announce the Version 0 Release of the FV3GFS to
the community through NOAA Virtual Lab (VLab), which was posted yesterday
afternoon.

NOAA’s Environmental Modeling Center (EMC) and Geophysical Fluid Dynamics
Lab (GFDL), along with several other partners including NOAA’s Earth
Systems Research Lab (ESRL) and the Developmental and Testbed Center (DTC)
at NCAR, have been working on developing the Finite Volume Cubed Sphere
(FV3) dynamical core as the Next Generation Global Prediction System
(NGGPS) atmospheric model.  FV3 dynamical core implementation includes
incorporating FV3 into the NOAA Environmental Modeling System (NEMS)  and
developing advanced physics and data assimilation techniques to advance the
skill of operational Global Forecast System (GFS).

On Monday May 15, we made an important first step in creating this new
FV3GFS as a community model.  This release allows community users to
explore the code and to run forecast-only experiments for selected cases.
Included in this release are:

(1)  The NEMS FV3GFS model source code, which contains NEMS infrastructure,
FV3 NUOPC layer (a.k.a. FV3CAP), FV3 dynamical core, Interoperable Physics
Driver (version 4), and the latest GFS physics to be implemented into
operations in 2017;

(2)  Initial and boundary conditions for running three selected cases at
three different model resolutions;

(3)  A post-processing program for converting model output on six tiles to
a global lat-lon grid in netCDF format; and

(4) The associated scripts and utilities for building the source code and
for running the forecast model.  Supported computing platforms include NOAA
supercomputers WCOSS, Theia and Jet.

Directions for accessing the release, details on the contents of the
release, and additional information about the FV3GFS can be viewed in the
FV3GFS NWS Virtual Lab community at the link https://vlab.ncep.noaa.gov/
web/fv3gfs. Regards,

Mike

Dr. Mike Farrar

Director, Environmental Modeling Center (EMC)

National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP)

NOAA/National Weather Service

Office phone: 301-683-3748 <%28301%29%20683-3748>

Email: michael.farrar at noaa.gov

Web: http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/