[Ncep.list.fv3-announce] fv3gfs release beta test

Gerard Ketefian - NOAA Affiliate gerard.ketefian at noaa.gov
Thu May 11 21:01:30 UTC 2017

Hi Jun,

Yes, after the missing "cp" fix, I (and Jim too) still had a problem with
this line in runjob_theia.sh:

module load module.fre-nctools

This syntax (where you specify a file name after "module load") is not
supported in our environment.  So what we did was first change the above
line to:

. ./module.fre-nctools

to just source the module.fre-nctools file.  Also, we changed the contents
of the file
${BASE_DIR}/fv3gfs.v0beta/release/v0/modulefiles/fv3gfs/fre-nctools.theia
to:

   module load impi/5.1.2.150
   module load netcdf/4.3.0
   module load hdf5/1.8.14
   export HDF5_DIR=$HDF5
   export NETCDF_DIR=$NETCDF
   export LIBRARY_PATH=${LIBRARY_PATH}:${NETCDF}/lib:${HDF5}/lib

(Btw, should LIBRARY_PATH be changed to LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the last line?)
 With this, the remapping worked without any error messages.  When I
compared the output with the baseline run, all the files were the same
EXCEPT the three 1deg files from the remapping.  I don't know why those
were differnt.  They weren't exactly the same but had almost the same
sizes.

It would be nice to be able to use the syntax

module load module.fre-nctools

in our environment as well.  When I do a "module help", I don't see this
syntax as an option (where you're specifying a file name that contains
several commands).  Is there a way to get this to work on theia?

Thanks,
Gerard

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 7:00 AM, Jun Wang - NOAA Affiliate <
jun.wang at noaa.gov> wrote:

> Gerard,
>
> With the fix last night, do you still have problem load the module
> module.fre-nctools?
>
> Thanks for pointing out the forecast time specified in runjob_theia.sh, I
> changed it to be consistent with the baseline.
>
> Another fix on the forecast executable is Jim Abeles are also committed to
> the tag.
>
> I am planning to commit all the changes made to the temporary beta tag to
> trunk later today for Sam to add jet extension, please send me any
> fix/suggestion. Thanks to all who are doing testing.
>

> Jun
>
> On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 5:03 AM, Gerard Ketefian - NOAA Affiliate <
> gerard.ketefian at noaa.gov> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> With Ligia's hints and Jun's last fix, I was able to complete the run but
>> not the remap.  I think the remap fails because some modules don't get
>> loaded properly.
>>
>> To get the remap to also work, I replaced the following line in
>> runjob_theia.sh
>>
>> module load module.fre-nctools
>>
>> with the following block (copied and modified from the file
>> module.fre-nctools):
>>
>> module load impi/5.1.2.150
>> module load netcdf/4.3.0
>> module load hdf5/1.8.14
>> export HDF5_DIR=$HDF5
>> export NETCDF_DIR=$NETCDF
>> export LIBRARY_PATH=${LIBRARY_PATH}:${NETCDF}/lib:${HDF5}/lib
>>
>> This change should allow the 1deg remapped netcdf files to be generated.
>>
>> When I do the comparison of the sample run's netcdf files with baseline,
>> there is a about factor of 5 difference (the sample run files being
>> larger).  This is because there are only 8 output times in the baseline
>> files but 40 in the run output.
>>
>> Gerard
>>

>> On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 9:56 PM, Jun Wang - NOAA Affiliate <
>> jun.wang at noaa.gov> wrote:
>>
>>> Ligia,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the feedback.  The suggestion on instruction is put in
>>> readme.txt. It is found that "cp " is missing  in line 124 in
>>> runjob_theia.sh. I committed the changes to the beta test tag:
>>> https://svnemc.ncep.noaa.gov/projects/nems/apps/NEMSfv3gfs/t

--
Gerard Ketefian
Research Scientist