[Ncep.list.fv3-announce] fv3gfs release beta test

Dusan Jovic dusan.jovic at noaa.gov
Thu May 11 15:35:53 UTC 2017

I started compilation on wcoss almost an hour ago and it's still not
done. In the meantime I am looking around this package. I have few
general comments. First of all I find the whole structure of the package
very confusing. It is not clear to me where each part of the system is
located. First example, there are 3 conf directories:

./fv3gfs.v0beta/*conf*
./fv3gfs.v0beta/FV3/*conf*
./fv3gfs.v0beta/NEMS/src/*conf*

If I want to add support for a new platform where should I go and create
new configuration file? All three? Does ./fv3gfs.v0beta/conf controls
the configuration of the whole system? Or does
./fv3gfs.v0beta/NEMS/src/conf controls just NEMS configuration?

Just look at these three files:

vi conf/configure.fv3.theia FV3/conf/configure.fv3.theia
NEMS/src/conf/configure.nems

and you'll find huge number of repeated makefile flags. Do they control
just fv3 compilation, of the whole NEMS app? What about preproc tools.

Then, the tests directories:

./fv3gfs.v0beta/*tests*
./fv3gfs.v0beta/FV3/*tests*
./fv3gfs.v0beta/NEMS/*tests*

Where should I go to find test runs? In the top level tests directory of
under NEMS? If this is primarily a NEMS application I would intuitively
go to ./fv3gfs.v0beta/NEMS/tests. There I find rt.sh which basically
just loops over four directories and guesses where the actual tests are.
Are users expected to run regression tests? If yes, then there should be
just one regression test directory for the whole system.

Finally, the release directory. It is basically just a directory with a
source code for the preprocessing/postprocessing tools (fre-nctools.fd)
which is fine, but why is then forecast execution script
(exglobal_fcst_nemsfv3gfs.sh) there? I suggest we rename this directory
to tools or preprocessing and move forecast execution script somewhere else.

The module files should also be in the single location so that users can
easily control which modules are loaded. Which part of the system
./fv3gfs.v0beta/modulefiles/theia/fv3 file controls? Only fv3? Maybe,
because under NEMS/src/conf there are few other module files which I
guess control the module for the NEMS part of the system. The
fre-nctools have their own module file located in
release/v0/modulefiles/fv3gfs/fre-nctools.theia.

I understand that this system is put together by just combining
standalone FV3 repo, a top layer of NEMS repo and small portion of
fv3gfs repo (mainly fre-nctools pre/postprocessing tools) but I still
think that we should try to build a system that is more coherent and is
simple to use and easy to change and maintain. Outside users who are not
familiar with our internal code structure will be very confused.

Of course, if you follow the readme file and execute 4 suggested steps
on wcoss or theia everything will just work, but I wonder how easy it's
going to be to modify this system to work on other machine. For example
questions 5 and 6 explain where to get external libraries implying that
some users might try to port the system on machines other then
wcoss_cray or theia.

Dusan