[Ncep.list.fv3-announce] fv3 rstart

Shrinivas Moorthi - NOAA Federal shrinivas.moorthi at noaa.gov
Fri Apr 14 23:33:32 UTC 2017

Rusty,
   I am a bit confused.  I have been running all this time with
"mountain=.false."
But now I set "mountain=.true." and my job crashed with
"Rank 3 [Fri Apr 14 23:25:03 2017] [c5-0c2s12n0] application called
MPI_Abort(MPI_COMM_WORLD, 1) - process 3

FATAL from PE     0: surfdrv: surface file INPUT/topo1min.nc not found !"

This is something new.  How am I to specify  orography?
Or do I have to really set "mountain='false."?
Thanks
Moorthi

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 2:47 PM, Rusty Benson - NOAA Federal <
rusty.benson at noaa.gov> wrote:

> I'm copying this email trail to the mail list for everyone to benefit
> regarding the changes for restart runs.  Let me know if anything is unclear.
>
> na_init determines how many backward/forward adiabatic preconditioning
> steps there are for the ICs.  This only needs to be done for the ICs and
> not any restart.
>
> make_nh control whether to re-initialize thel non-hydrostatic variables
> "w" and "dz".  For a restart, these do not need to be initialized as they
> are part of the restart files.
>
> external_ic determines whether the data is coming from restarts or from an
> external source:  NGGPS, ECMWF, NCEP, etc.
>
> nggps_ic is a further refinement regarding the type of external IC being
> utilized.
>
> mountain deals with terrain.  If set to .false. flat-earth is assumed
> (phis=geopotential=0)
>
> warm_start determines whether restart files are expected or not.
>

> Rusty
> --
> Rusty Benson, PhD
> Modeling Systems Group
> NOAA Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Lab
> Princeton, NJ
>
> On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 11:38 PM, Fanglin Yang - NOAA Affiliate <
> fanglin.yang at noaa.gov> wrote:
>
>> Jun,
>>
>> I made another try with phy_data* included. The warm restart run with
>> NSST appeared to be working.
>> STMP: /gpfs/hps/stmp/emc.glopara/fv3test2017041100gfsfcst1
>> ROTDIR: /gpfs/hps/ptmp/emc.glopara/prfv3test/gfs.20170411
>>
>> Although I am using the following settings
>>

>> *set make_nh = ".T."   set nggps_ic = ".T."*
>>    set mountain = ".T."
>>    set external_ic = ".F."
>>    set warm_start = ".T."
>>

>> *  set na_init = 1*
>>

>> *So why do we need to change make_nh, nggps_ic and na_init to different
>> values from cold to warm start?*
>>
>> *Fanglin*
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 10:54 AM, Jun Wang - NOAA Affiliate <
>> jun.wang at noaa.gov> wrote:
>>
>>> Rusty ,
>>>
>>> I would like to check with you if the following setting you sent out
>>> before for restart still works for nsst restart in IPD4?
>>>

>>>    set make_nh = ".F."
>>>    set nggps_ic = ".F."
>>>    set mountain = ".T."
>>>    set external_ic = ".F."
>>>    set warm_start = ".T."
>>>    set na_init = 0
>>>

>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Jun

>> --
>> Fanglin Yang, Ph.D.
>> Environmental Modeling Center
>> National Centers for Environmental Prediction
>> 301-6833722 <(301)%20683-3722>; fanglin.yang at noaa.gov
>> http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/wx24fy/fyang/
>> http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS_vsdb/

Dr. Shrinivas Moorthi
Research Meteorologist
Global Climate and Weather Modeling Branch
Environmental Modeling Center / National Centers for Environmental
Prediction
5830 University Research Court - (W/NP23), College Park MD 20740 USA
Tel: (301)683-3718

e-mail: Shrinivas.Moorthi at noaa.gov
Phone:  (301) 683-3718   Fax: (301) 683-3718