[Ncep.list.emc.npsr] Announcing Dr. Vijay Tallapragada as the new Global Climate and Weather Modeling Branch Chief at EMC.

Hendrik Tolman hendrik.tolman at noaa.gov
Mon Jul 13 15:30:45 UTC 2015

Dear friends,

Pleasejoin me in welcoming Dr. Vijay Tallapragada as the as the new
Chief of the Global Climate and Weather Modeling Branch (GCWMB) at the
Environmental Modeling Center (EMC), effective July 12, 2015.

Prior to joining NCEP/EMC in 2006, Dr. Tallapragada was a Research
Associate at the Department of Meteorology in Florida State University,
Tallahassee, FL for seven years, where he was mentored by world renowned
tropical meteorologist Prof. T.N. Krishnamurti. Dr. Tallapragada holds a
Ph.D. in tropical meteorology, M.Tech. Degree in Atmospheric Science and
M.S. Degree in Meteorology. He has more than 50 refereed publicationsto
his name.

Before becoming the GCWMB Branch Chief, Dr. Tallapragada served as the
Hurricane Team Leader at EMC. In this capacity, Dr. Tallapragada was
responsible for developing and implementing state-of-the-art hurricane
models for providing operational forecast guidance to the US Operational
Tropical Cyclone Forecast Agencies (NHC, CPHC and JTWC). He was
instrumental in developing and advancing the NCEP operational Hurricane
Weather Research and Forecast (HWRF) modeling system. This model has
become one of the best community based models in the world, and is used
by both operations and research. He coordinated various tropical cyclone
research activities within NOAA, as well as partnering between
government, academic, and private organizations. His experience with
community modeling (including research to operations projects),
partnering and project management will serve him well in his new role.

Welcome aboard in your new role Vijay

Hendrik Tolman

| Hendrik L. Tolman                            Hendrik.Tolman at NOAA.gov |
| Director, Environmental Modeling Center                NOAA/NWS/NCEP |
| NOAA Center for Weather & Climate Prediction | Phone : (301)683-3748 |
| 5830 University Research Court  Room 2050    | FAX   : (301)683-3703 |
| College Park, Maryland 20740, USA            | Cell  : (410)279-3320 |