[Ncep.list.emc.fv3gfs_tickets] FV3GFS Ticket #10: fv3gfs workflow and utilities
FV3GFS Trac Ticket
ncep.list.emc.fv3gfs_tickets at noaa.gov
Tue Mar 14 04:08:34 UTC 2017
#10: fv3gfs workflow and utilities
Reporter: fanglin.yang@… | Owner: fanglin yang
Type: task | Status: new
Priority: major | Milestone:
Component: component1 | Version:
Resolution: | Keywords:
Comment (by fanglin.yang@…):
A few users reported that they cannot build and/or run fv3gfs following
the instruction included in the trunk. I have updated 0readme.txt file in
https://svnemc.ncep.noaa.gov/projects/fv3gfs/trunk to provide step-by-step
instructions for running forecast-only experiments with the latest trunk
version of fv3gfs. The readme file is also pasted below.
Instruction for Running Forcast Experiments with Operational GFS Initial
1. The package so far only works on Cray (Luna and Surge).
2. create a directory on Luna/Surge:
mkdir -p /gpfs/hps/emc/global/noscrub/$LOGNAME/svn/fv3gfs
3. If you are going to run experiments without making changes, check out
svn co https://svnemc.ncep.noaa.gov/projects/fv3gfs/trunk
4. If you are going to make changes, create a branch of the trunk, for
svn copy https://svnemc.ncep.noaa.gov/projects/fv3gfs/trunk
then checkout your branch: svn co
5. Under either ./trunk or ./myfv3 you will find the following directories
6. goto ./lib, run "build_sfcio.sh" to build the special sfcio library
7. goto ./global_shared.v15.0.0/sorc, run "build_all.sh cray" to build all
8. goto ./global_shared.v15.0.0/sorc/fv3gfs.fd/BUILD, run "COMP_ALL_avx"
to build rwo forecst executables for non-hydrostatic 32-bit and 64-bit
cases. You need to modify COMP_ALL_avx if you want to build hydrostatic
executables as well.
9. create your experiment directory, for instance
mkdir -p /gpfs/hps/emc/global/noscrub/$LOGNAME/para_gfs/prtest
then copy all files in ./gfs_workflow.v15.0.0/para/exp_fv3gfs to prtest
10. In ./prtest/submit_fv3gfs.sh, change "BASE_SVN" and "tags" to point to
your local package. Change "CASE" for model resolution, and "START"/"LAST"
for experiment dates.
11. Use "bsub <submit_fv3gfs.sh" to submit your job. The script will first
run CHGRES to create FV3GFS initial conditions and then submit a forecast
job. After fcst completes, the system will automatically submit post,
vrfy and arch jobs.
Note: the system is still under development. Changes are frequently made
and committed to the trunk. Not all parts are working without flaws.
Cycled experiments cannot be run using this package yet. The forecast
model included in this package will soon be replaced with the NEMS FV3GFS,
workflow and scripts will be updated accordingly.
Ticket URL: <https://svnemc.ncep.noaa.gov/trac/fv3gfs/ticket/10#comment:10>
NGGPS FV3GFS Development
More information about the Ncep.list.emc.fv3gfs_tickets