[Ncep.list.cpcopcwpc-rfcmemo] change in plans

Christine Caruso.Magee - NOAA Federal chris.caruso.magee at noaa.gov
Thu Feb 12 21:03:33 UTC 2015

Hi Scott,

  Re: the CM plan for the local Centers, when I was updating the CM plan, I
first tried to roll the Centers in with NCO and it was getting too messy.
I decided to just start with NCO and then once I got Michelle's and Ben's
approval for NCO's plan, I'd then modify it for the Centers.  Michelle has
read my NCO CM plan but I don't believe Ben has seen it yet.

  The submission deadlines for the Centers is the same as for NCO.  I will
add a section to both the NCO and the Centers' CM plans re: holding CCBs
when an unexpected, high-impact event like today's occurs.  The NCO CM plan
includes what we do in case of CWD, but not for something like today.  And
for accelerated RFCs, someone last week asked about the requirements for
accelerating a change, so I sent the NCO CM plan to NHC and the local
Centers and let them know which sections of the plan they should read.  The
requirements for accelerated RFCs for the Centers are the same as those for
NCO, except the approval comes from the Centers management instead of NCO
management.  The SDM is supposed to be included in the approval decision as


Christine Caruso Magee
NWS/NCEP/NCO Configuration Manager
chris.caruso.magee at noaa.gov

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 3:29 PM, Scott Jacobs - NOAA Federal <
scott.jacobs at noaa.gov> wrote:

> Ben,
> Thanks for the information about the power outage.
> Getting back to the issue with the WPC/OPC/CPC/NHC CCB meeting held
> today...  I am glad the WPC could participate today. Mark was able to get
> on the phone call after helping with the minor outage in the WPC operations
> area, and was able to talk about our upcoming changes.
> I believe I was out last summer when the Centers' meeting was established.
> In my new (temporary) role in the WPC, I would like to understand the
> ground rules for the process and how it differs from the NCO process. The
> only Configuration Management Plan I found on the CM Site is for the NCO.
> It does not have any specifics about the requirements and procedures for
> the Centers to follow when submitting RFCs and for the CCB meeting. The
> only documentation I found that does reference the Centers is the checklist
> for an accelerated RFC.
> Thanks,
> Scott
> Scott Jacobs
> Development and Training Branch Chief, Acting
> NOAA/NWS/NCEP/Weather Prediction Center
> 301-683-1331 << New phone number
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 2:30 PM, Ben Kyger - NOAA Federal <
> ben.kyger at noaa.gov> wrote:
>> Thanks Joe.  We have determined the root cause of the outage -
>> multiple/seqential cases of human error working on the ups.  I've asked for
>> a face-to-face meeting with the maintenance vendor to let them know very
>> clearly that they had a negative effect on our operations.
>> Ben
>> On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 2:23 PM, Joseph Sienkiewicz - NOAA Federal <
>> joseph.sienkiewicz at noaa.gov> wrote:
>>> Ben,
>>> Thanks for the response. We were up to our elbows and hearing that the
>>> CCB would be held could not have come at a worse time. OPC came back up
>>> (AWIPS 2) at about 1315.  Our issue was the network switch went down, not
>>> the workstations.
>>> Joe
>>> On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 2:09 PM, Ben Kyger - NOAA Federal <
>>> ben.kyger at noaa.gov> wrote:
>>>> Fran,
>>>> I think this was a misunderstanding.  Nobody expected anyone to attend
>>>> that was working the restoration of operations.  I asked Chris to proceed
>>>> with the meeting so that those of us who were available could approve of
>>>> your changes for next week even though you couldn't attend.  But I
>>>> understand how the message got confused and we'll be more careful in the
>>>> future.
>>>> Ben
>>>> On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 1:49 PM, Frances Achorn - NOAA Federal <
>>>> frances.achorn at noaa.gov> wrote:
>>>>> Everyone,
>>>>> I find it completely unacceptable that this meeting went forward while
>>>>> all centers in NCWCP were in the middle of an operational crisis. We have
>>>>> been assured that CM would never get in the way of operations. It did today.
>>>>> I suggest that should something like this happen again, we reschedule
>>>>> after we have a good assessment of return to service. Even if that is the
>>>>> next day.
>>>>> Fran
>>>>> On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 1:00 PM, Christine Caruso.Magee - NOAA Federal
>>>>> <chris.caruso.magee at noaa.gov> wrote:
>>>>>> Hi All,
>>>>>>   Ben just told me he want to hold your CCB as planned.  If you're in
>>>>>> NCWCP, please see if you can find a PC that's up (something on the east
>>>>>> side of the building).  I have power and phone, so I'll start it up from my
>>>>>> cube.  Please give me a few minutes to set up.
>>>>>> Chris
>>>>>> Christine Caruso Magee
>>>>>> NWS/NCEP/NCO Configuration Manager
>>>>>> 301-683-3905
>>>>>> chris.caruso.magee at noaa.gov
>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>> Ncep.list.cpcopcwpc-rfcmemo mailing list
>>>>>> Ncep.list.cpcopcwpc-rfcmemo at lstsrv.ncep.noaa.gov
>>>>>> https://lstsrv.ncep.noaa.gov/mailman/listinfo/ncep.list.cpcopcwpc-rfcmemo
>>> --
>>> Joseph M. Sienkiewicz
>>> Chief, Ocean Applications Branch
>>> *NOAA/NWS Ocean Prediction Center*
>>> 5830 University Research Ct.
>>> College Park, MD 20740
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: https://lstsrv.ncep.noaa.gov/pipermail/ncep.list.cpcopcwpc-rfcmemo/attachments/20150212/8accd6f4/attachment.html 

More information about the Ncep.list.cpcopcwpc-rfcmemo mailing list