[Ncep.hmon] Thoughts on the HMON performance for Harvey

Weiguo Wang - NOAA Affiliate weiguo.wang at noaa.gov
Sun Sep 3 15:35:28 UTC 2017

Another thought is to replace GFDL surface scheme with MYJ. One reason is
that the NOAH land surface works best with MYJ surface scheme.  When a
storm moves closer to land, the land model may play more important role to
model track.  Right now, there is a big bias in surface temperature over
land from HMON (including HWRF) .

Also, we can replace GFS PBL with MYJ PBL scheme. Local scheme might do a
good job in hurricane situation, without too much empirical
changes/restrictions.

>>> Ncep.hmon at lstsrv.ncep.noaa.gov