[meg.infolist.announce] new MEG web site

Shrinivas Moorthi shrinivas.moorthi at noaa.gov
Tue Aug 8 10:42:26 UTC 2017

Geoff,
    Great job and great website :-).
Two minor comments I want to make about the GFS model.  The prediction
model in not purely spectral.
It is GSM with Semi-Lagrangian dynamics (as opposed to CFSv2 or WAM
which are not with Semi-Lagrangian dynamics).
Also, the microphysics  in GFS is not truely Zhao and Carr.  It is
really Zhao and Carr and Sundqvist , I know because I implemented the
scheme.
What about CFS v2 of NGAC? they is not listed.  As we are moving toward
Unified Forecast System, MEG needs to
look at all time scales.
Thanks
Moorthi
On 08/07/2017 09:50 PM, Geoffrey Manikin - NOAA Federal wrote:

>            I am pleased to announce the launch of the Model Evaluation
> Group web site.    While the site concepts are the result of
> collaboration among the MEG team members, the construction of the site
> was done by Corey Guastini who deserves a ton of credit for his
> efforts.    The site is at:
> *http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/cguastini/meg/index.html*
>
>          Please note the drop-down menu, denoted by 3 bars to the
> right of the picture of the Washington Monument. There are links to 4
> section of the site:
>      1)  the main page
>      2)  a table with one-stop shopping information on all EMC NWP
> systems, including details on resolution, initial and boundary
> conditions, domain, core, domain, forecast length, physics, and more.
>      3)  a comprehensive set of links for verification pages
>      4)  a page where one can do a 4-way model comparison between the
> HRRR, NAM nest, and the Hi-Res Windows, including the ability to use
> the arrow keys to move between forecast hours and between stacked
> images.    It works really nicely on mobile devices.
>
>            We have plans to continue to grow the site in the years
> ahead.    Comments and suggestions are welcome and should be directed
> to corey.guastini at noaa.gov <mailto:corey.guastini at noaa.gov> and
> geoffrey.manikin at noaa.gov <mailto:geoffrey.manikin at noaa.gov>

Dr. Shrinivas Moorthi
Research Meteorologist
Modeling and Data Assimilation Branch
Environmental Modeling Center / National Centers for Environmental Prediction
5830 University Research Court - (W/NP23), College Park MD 20740 USA
Tel:(301)683-3718